FLAWED- CECELIA AHERN




Blurb: Celestine North lives a perfect life. She’s a model daughter and sister, she’s well-liked by her classmates and teachers, and she’s dating the impossibly charming Art Crevan.



But then Celestine encounters a situation where she makes an instinctive decision. She breaks a rule and now faces life-changing repercussions. She could be imprisoned. She could be branded. She could be found flawed.


My friend bought this novel for me as a birthday gift and I was really excited to read it, since it was Cecelia Ahern's first dystopian novel. But it did not work. For me the characters have to have something different, something that stands out. I didn't connect with the protagonist at all and found the story line pretty bland. The first half was really hard for me to read but like after 200 pages it gets better. I liked Carrick  in this and his story as well. I wanted to see his character more in this book but he made only small appearances in this one. I hope to see more of him in the next book.
"I am a girl of definitions, of logic, of black and . Remember this."

Celestine North is perfect in her imperfect world. She lives her perfect life; always following society's rule, loved by her teachers and has a wonderful boyfriend Art Crevan. They both have their future plans to study in university and live a happy life forever. She lives in a world where everyone should be perfect or they get punished getting branded with an 'F' on their body parts.

"For bad decisions, it's their temple.  

 For lying, it's their tongue. 
 For stealing from society, it's their right palm. 
 For disloyalty to the Guild, it's their chest, over their heart. 
 For stepping out of line with society, it's the sole of their right  foot."


I somehow did not get Celestine at all, and to be honest, she was a boring person who was supposedly perfect in her own way, a goody two shoes. But she made a mistake by aiding a flawed and she was punished for it. She was actually punished for acting out of kindness (Whaaat?). She knows that the society is in a big chaos and everything about it is wrong but did not take any initiative to correct it. Judge Crevan (Father of Art) was the member of Flawed court and he assure her that she'll be free from all of this but in end he was the one who announced the verdict and declared her Flawed. He was indecisive, selfish, brutal and a powerful man.

This book can be interpreted as a reflection of the real world and shows how a person feels after he gets branded, what are the restrictions on him, how he deals with people, how their normal lives get affected and how they are supposed to live. Everyone knows the society is messed up, everyone is against it but in end they just live with it and don't care about it, and this fact made it more frustrating for me. I questioned myself; Is this how the society really works? And will keep on working? Something has to be done about it.

My Favourite character 'Carrick' made his appearance in the end. I was finally like 'Oh my godd, Thankyou!' and the moment I started enjoying it, the book ended in a cliffhanger. I have a feeling the second book is going to be much better than this one, *fingers crossed*.

Rating: 2.5 stars

__________________________________________________________________________

FOLLOW US ON INSTAGRAM: the_wordaholics



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ME BEFORE YOU BY JOJO MOYES

Copy Cat by Alex Lake- Review

PERCY JACKSON & THE LIGHTNING THEIF