ILLUMINAE by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff Review

Illuminae Review


Blurb: This morning, Kady thought breaking up with Ezra was the hardest thing she’d have to do. This afternoon, her planet was invaded.

The year is 2575, and two rival megacorporations are at war over a planet that’s little more than an ice-covered speck at the edge of the universe. Too bad nobody thought to warn the people living on it. With enemy fire raining down on them, Kady and Ezra—who are barely even talking to each other—are forced to fight their way onto an evacuating fleet, with an enemy warship in hot pursuit.

But their problems are just getting started. A deadly plague has broken out and is mutating, with terrifying results; the fleet's AI, which should be protecting them, may actually be their enemy; and nobody in charge will say what’s really going on. As Kady hacks into a tangled web of data to find the truth, it's clear only one person can help her bring it all to light: the ex-boyfriend she swore she'd never speak to again.


Rating: ★★★★★

My reaction after completing it: Holy. Freaking. Crap. I want the second book right now!!!

Review: When you see a book everywhere in the book community, you'll eventually pick it up some day. I grabbed Illuminae and Gemina by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff in January. The first thing I saw was its unique, cool and astounding writing style. I absolutely love the way it is written, like in the variety of documents and the way the world is established is completely breathtaking. The book begins with the story of Ezra Mason and Kady Grant. I loved reading the miscellany of documents (you have medical reports, military files, transcripts, schematics, emails and many others).





Illuminae was a rollercoaster ride of emotions that will keep you hooked till the very end. I was instantly into it after reading a couple of pages and OHMYGOD Ezra Miller, he is my favourite character so far.


“Interviewer: So. Tell me about your mother.
Ezra: You're taping this, right?
Interviewer: Audio only. Camera is faulty.
Ezra: Okay, well for the benefit of the sight-impaired, I am now raising my… oh, dear… yes, it's my MIDDLE finger at Mr. Postgrad here.
Interviewer: Mr. Mason...
Ezra: Now I'm wiggling it.
Interviewer: Terminating interview at 13:58 on 03/19/75.
Ezra: Look at it wiggl-
-audio ends-” 
What flabbergasted me in the plot was the use of AIDAN who is an artificial intelligence for Alexandra 78V, and how Kaufman and Kristoff made him as an individually enjoyable character. I also find it interesting on how AIDAN was so philosophical and will make you think about your life in general. With so much complexity in his character, it made more intriguing to learn about him. Also, the character development in the book is absolutely impressive and I instantly connected with them. Not only the main characters but the development of the supporting characters were also phenomenal.  
"Am I not merciful" -AIDAN

Overall I loved this book and find the first YA Sci-fi so beautifully uniquely written. Illuminae has so many feels, you will find yourself crying in some moments and instantly after some pages you'll be happy as  ____.  I rate this book Five FREAKIN Stars and recommend this to everyone. If you're a Sci-fi fan then grab this book right now!! and if you're not a Sci-fi fan then this book will make you one. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ME BEFORE YOU BY JOJO MOYES

Copy Cat by Alex Lake- Review

PERCY JACKSON & THE LIGHTNING THEIF