Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine- Review




Book: Ella Enchanted 

Author: Gail Carson Levine

Publisher: Harper Collins 

Pages: 239

Genre: Fantasy and Fiction 

My Rating: 3.75/5 stars 

Recommend: Definitely yes!

When Ella was born, she was bestowed with a gift of obedience and the unwary fairy Lucinda didn't realize that she lay a curse on her. Now Ella will always be obedient to others and listens to every order directed to her; finish the cake, hop on one foot, kill the prince, betray her kingdom. She is waiting to be free from the curse so, she can be herself and has the power to say no. 

"My gift is obedience. Ella will always be obedient. Now stop crying, child."
I stopped.

Review:

As a child, I loved reading fairy tales, but with time it occurred to me that fairy tales usually dispirit women and expect them to behave like a typical princess and someday a prince will save her from misery. Ella Enchanted is a re-telling of Cinderella, and the book perfectly captures some essential elements; the story includes glass sandals, the ball, the pumpkin, an evil stepmother and her two daughters (Hattie and Olive). 

I enjoyed reading this enchanting story. The female lead- Ella is strong-willed, funny and intelligent which makes it different from any other classic fairy tale. The best part I liked about Ella is how she manipulates the order and uses it to irritate the other person. In this, the author emphasizes on love, friendship and tells you that it's okay if you are like a baby elephant and not as a princess. The relationship between Mandy and Ella is very spellbinding and how their friendship grows when they both try to undo the curse vested upon her. Also, the characters in this book are though magical but relatable, and the story perfectly captures that nobody is perfect and every person has a flaw in them, which makes them different from the rest of the world. 

Writing Style:

The story is very fast-paced and this being a children fantasy book, the writing style is marvelous. I adored the concept of letters and the know-it-all magical book. I believe the main progress in this tale is made through them. 
Dear fairy godmother, my only wish is that I'd read this book sooner.

The only issue I have with the book is the ending which I feel is a bit disappointing and clichèd. I enjoyed the entire book, and there were some instances which made me laugh, but I think the author could have done better in the end.

Follow us on:
Instagram: the_wordaholics
Twitter: the_wordaholics
Goodreads: Anushka

Disclaimer: I received this book from Harper Collins India for an honest review. I would like to thank the publisher for the book.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

ME BEFORE YOU BY JOJO MOYES

Copy Cat by Alex Lake- Review

PERCY JACKSON & THE LIGHTNING THEIF